Do you wish to travel overseas to study but do not have the financial capacity to do so? then consider applying for the Japanese MEXT Scholarships.
What is the MEXT Scholarship?
The MEXT Scholarship stands for “the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Scholarship” and is also known as “Monbukagakusho.” It’s a scholarship given out each year to help foreign students enroll in Japanese universities.
the MEXT Scholarship is a student exchange program for students who want to be part of a Japanese university.
Getting Accepted for the MEXT Scholarship
There are basically two modes to get accepted for the MEXT scholarship.
- Get recommended by a Japanese embassy or consulate general.
- Get recommended by a Japanese university of your choice that accepts you for study.
The first mode, you can achieve that through the application process. it requires a form to be sent to your local Japanese embassy.
The second is achieved by applying to different Japanese universities and noting in our application that you are applying for the MEXT Scholarship
Benefits of MEXT Scholarships
- ¥120,000 yen per month for undergraduate students.
- ¥146,000 yen per month for Japanese Intensive Course students and research students.
- ¥147,000 yen per month for master’s program students.
- ¥148,000 yen per month for doctoral program students.
- An economy class air ticket to Narita or Haneda International Airport in Japan. (Currently, the MEXT Scholarship doesn’t cover additional travel costs from the airport.)
- Waived or refunded application fees for the university.
- Waived admission fees for the university.
- Waived tuition fees for the university.
Roughly, you’ll receive around a minimum of $1,000 USD per month to live, eat and travel in Japan and have all your tuition costs covered.
How to Apply for the MEXT Scholarship
Below are the steps you will take to apply for the MEXT Scholarship, including the processes and some other requirements.
- Acquire an international passport
- Acquire a Japanese student visa
- Be between 17 and 35 years of age, depending on which scholarship you decide to apply for.
- Be a citizen of the country you reside in and be sure that the country has diplomatic relations with Japan.
- Be aware of important dates related to applying.
- Select a university in Japan that you want to attend and submit an application to that school ahead of time. Apply to more than one university to increase your chances of getting admission.
- Study past examination questions to improve your chances of getting the scholarship.
- Fill an application online by the designated deadline.
- Submit all application materials to an Embassy or Consulate General of Japan near your area.
- Have at least a smattering of the Japanese language before applying—you will need to pass a Japanese exam in most cases to receive an embassy recommendation.
To apply for the MEXT Scholarship, use the government-approved information site for studying in Japan operated by the Japan Student Services Organization in cooperation with the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. See link below.
APPLY FOR MEXT SCHOLARSHIP HERE Everything you need to know about the scholarship can be found on the website above.
You can check out how to get a scholarship in any school of your choice.