Proteus 8.16 is the latest version of the proteus simulation software on the market. This version of the proteus simulation software was released on the 20th March 2023. As usual, Labcenter electronics releases new proteus versions with new features added to the powerful proteus simulation software.
The previous version of the proteus simulation software – Proteus 8.15 which was released on the 22nd of September 2022 came with a bunch of new features that gave the simulation a better touch with features that includes:
- Curved Route Editing: The editing of curved routes has been overhauled to work in a similar way to linear routes. Curved corners can be dragged to enlarge or contract their radius and straight segments between curves can be dragged exactly like linear segment dragging.
- Linear Route Editing: Various improvements to segment dragging, node dragging and small segment removal. The goal of all editing is to maintain 90 and 45 degree segments as this both enables future segment drag editing and software tidy operations.
- Via Dragging: Via dragging is a special case since you don’t often move by a large amount and any direction will often do. Considerable work has taken place to maintain editable routing following a user via drag.
- Curved Mitring: Routes can now be switched between linear and curved mitring either individually, on a selected group or globally. This again depends on the routes maintaining 45 and 90 segments when linear.
- Additional Layers: The layering system has been upgraded to include:
- An additional four mechanical layers.
- A dedicated slot layer.
- Dedicated top and bottom assembly layers.
Proteus 8.16 New Features
Proteus 8.16 has the following new features:
We are pleased to announce that Proteus Design Suite 8.16 has now been released. It can be downloaded from the home page of the software. Note that this version involves a file format change which is not backwards compatible with older versions of the software.
New features include:
Push and Shove Routing: There are now two main placement mods, namely Push mode and traditional FMR mode. The former allows the route being placed to move other tracks (and optionally vias) out of the way while the latter is more akin to a hug mode which will obey design rule clearances but will not affect other objects on the PCB. Keyboard shortcuts enable you to seamlessly switch between modes at any time.
DRC Aware Route Editing: Track editing operations are now by default all design rule aware, allowing you easily make the most of the available board space and keep a tidy board layout. This can be disabled via keyboard shortcut or through the Route Command Centre.
Route Command Centre: The Route Command Centre is the home for all route placement, editing and Visual DRC configuration options in Proteus. It can be launched from the Tools Menu or, more commonly, via the ‘R’ keyboard shortcut. Importantly the keyboard shortcut can launch the dialogue form while in the middle of placing or editing a route meaning that you can make changes or adapt the routing modes at any time.
Visual DRC: Visual DRC provides a viewport around the mouse and each object shows an expansion corresponding to it’s design rule clearance in an overlay. This instantly lets you see whether the route being placed can move where you want it to go and then take action such as toggling push mode or changing track style to squeeze through a tight gap.
Status Bar Messaging: Status Bar messaging has been upgraded during route placement and editing to include live route lengths, current routing mode and route styles and net information.
Length Matched Tracks Viewer: New matchgroup view directly in the parts bin gives a live board insight on length matched routes and their compliance status with target lengths.
For a full listing of features and fixes please log on to Labcenter support forums and look under the ‘Updates and Fixes’ section. Proteus 8.16 is available free of charge to all customers whose USC is valid as of 20th March 2023.
Download Proteus 8.16 Free
If you do not have Proteus already, you can use the link below to download Proteus 8.16 form Labcenter electronics website.