House of Hades pdf Book Summary by Rick Riordan
The House of Hades pdf book by American author Rick Riordan. The House of Hades is a fantasy-adventure novel based on Greek and Roman mythology. It was published on October 8, 2013, and is the fourth book in The Heroes of Olympus series, preceded by The Mark of Athena and followed by The Blood of Olympus.
The story follows the Greek demigods Annabeth Chase, Leo Valdez, Piper McLean, Nico di Angelo, and Percy Jackson; and the Roman demigods Jason Grace, Hazel Levesque, and Frank Zhang on their quest to close the Doors of Death, stop the Giants from raising Gaea, and prevent war between Camp Jupiter and Camp Half-Blood.
At the conclusion of The Mark of Athena, Annabeth and Percy tumble into a pit leading straight to the Underworld. The other five demigods have to put aside their grief and follow Percy’s instructions to find the mortal side of the Doors of Death. If they can fight their way through the Gaea’s forces, and Percy and Annabeth can survive the House of Hades, then the Seven will be able to seal the Doors from both sides and prevent the giants from raising Gaea. But, Leo wonders, if the Doors are sealed, how will Percy and Annabeth be able to escape? They have no choice. If the demigods don’t succeed, Gaea’s armies will never die. They have no time. In about a month, the Romans will march on Camp Half-Blood. The stakes are higher than ever in this adventure that dives into the depths of Tartarus.
The House of Hades pdf Book Characters
- Annabeth Chase: A demigod daughter of Athena, the Greek goddess of wisdom. Along with her boyfriend Percy, she is trapped in Tartarus during the novel.
- Frank Zhang: Son of Mars, the Roman god of war. He struggles with the voices of his father and Ares fighting in his head during most of the novel. After defeating all the katoblepones in Venice, he receives the blessing of Mars and peace from the arguing voices. He is dating Hazel Levesque. During the battle against the monsters in the Doors of Death, Jason Grace relinquishes his role as praetor of Camp Jupiter to Frank so that he can be of high enough rank to command an army of ghosts.
- Hazel Levesque: Demigod daughter of Pluto, the Roman god of the dead and riches. When Argo II was prevented from crossing the Apennines by Ourae, she met with Hecate, who showed her a northern path to travel, with the condition that Hazel would learn to use the Mist. At the Doors of Death, she uses the Mist against Pasiphaë, recreating the Labyrinth of Daedalus and throwing the sorceress into an imaginary abyss. She also defeats the giant Clytius with the help of Hecate.
- Jason Grace: Demigod son of Jupiter, the Roman aspect of Zeus. In an audition with Auster, the Roman deity of the South Wind, he reveals his preference for Camp Half-Blood instead of Camp Jupiter, and the god forces him to commit to his choice. During the battle against the monsters in the Doors of Death, Jason is unable to control the Diocletian’s scepter because of his choice.
- Leo Valdez: Son of Hephaestus, the Greek god of fire and forges. After Khione and her siblings attack the Argo II, trireme built by Leo, he falls into Ogygia – he manages to escape with the help of Calypso after they fall in love. At the Doors of Death, he helps Hazel fight Pasiphaë and opens the door for Percy and Annabeth to return to the mortal world.
- Nico di Angelo: Demigod son of Hades, the Greek aspect of Pluto. Confronted by Cupid, he admits he had a crush on Percy and asks Jason to keep his secret. In Epirus, Nico leads the group to the Doors of Death. He works with Frank to summon and control the dead Roman legion against the cluster of monsters from Clytius. He and Hazel also use their ability to travel in the shadows to bring the group safely to the surface. Later he offered to take Athena Parthenos back to Camp Half-Blood with Reyna and Coach Hedge.
- Percy Jackson: Demigod son of Poseidon, who is also the main protagonist of the Percy Jackson & the Olympians series. He falls into Tartarus with his girlfriend Annabeth.
- Piper McLean: Daughter of Aphrodite. When Khione attacked Argo II, she rescued the rest of the crew after reactivating Festus (Leo’s automaton dragon integrated with the ship) with her charmspeaking, which burned Calais and Zethes and allowed Piper to defeat the goddess.
- Reyna Avila Ramírez-Arellano: Demigod daughter of Bellona, the Roman goddess of war, is the praetor of Camp Jupiter. After she and the augur Octavian meet Rachel and Grover Underwood in New York City, Rachel gives her a message from Annabeth stating that Reyna was the only person able to take Athena Parthenos back to Camp Half-Blood and prevent the war between the Greeks and Romans. She agrees and goes to Greece on her pegasus, Scipio, in search of the other demigods, leaving Octavian in power. Upon finding them, she accepts the help of Nico and Coach Hedge to take the statue back to the United States using shadow travel.
- Iapetus/Bob the Titan: The Titan of the West and the father of Atlas, Iapetus was previously encountered by Percy, Annabeth, Nico and Thalia Grace in the short story Percy Jackson and the Sword of Hades where he had his memory erased by Percy throwing him into the River Lethe. Now working as a janitor for Hades, Bob comes to the rescue of Percy and Annabeth in Tartarus, acting as a protector and a much-needed guide, even after his true memories are restored. Bob is apparently destroyed at the end of the novel by the embodiment of Tartarus himself, but it’s suggested in The Tower of Nero that he did in fact survive.
The House of Hades Book Author – Rick Riordan
Rick Riordan is the #1 New York Times bestselling the author of The house of Hades is also the author of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, the Kane Chronicles, and the Heroes of Olympus. He is also the author of the multi-award-winning Tres Navarre mystery series for adults.
For fifteen years, Rick taught English and history at public and private middle schools in the San Francisco Bay Area and in Texas. In 2002, Saint Mary’s Hall honored him with the school’s first Master Teacher Award.
While teaching full time, Riordan began writing mystery novels for grownups. His Tres Navarre series went on to win the top three national awards in the mystery genre – the Edgar, the Anthony and the Shamus. Riordan turned to children’s fiction when he started The Lightning Thief as a bedtime story for his oldest son. Rick is also the author of The 39 Clues: The Maze of Bones, another #1 New York Times bestseller. Rick Riordan now writes full-time. He lives in Boston with his wife and two sons.
The House of Hades pdf Book Information
- Publisher : Disney-Hyperion; First Edition first Printing (October 8, 2013)
- Language : English
- Hardcover : 608 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1423146727
- ISBN-13 : 978-1423146728
- Reading age : 9+ years, from customers
- Lexile measure : 680L
- Grade level : 5 – 9
- Item Weight : 1.78 pounds
- Dimensions : 6 x 1.88 x 8.63 inches
- Best Sellers Rank: #23,065 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #84 in Children’s Greek & Roman Books
- #895 in Children’s Fantasy & Magic Books
- #1,316 in Children’s Action & Adventure Books (Books)
- Customer Reviews: 4.8 out of 5 stars 14,496 ratings
5.0 out of 5 stars Okay first off I blew through this book in like three days
Reviewed in the United States on August 29, 2014
Okay first off I blew through this book in like three days. It was soo good and so totally different. We got to finally see in our minds what Tartarus is actually like. I never thought that Tartarus would actually be a body. Well Tartarus, the god Tartarus’s body to be exact, I was happy to see Bob, the good Titan, again. Even if being in Tartarus he got his memories back but didn’t return to being evil at all.
We also find out with why Nico is so grumpy and not very talkative with Annabeth anymore like he used to as a preteen. I had my suspicions that Nico might have liked liked Percy throughout the book but they were confirmed in this book by Cupid himself.
This book is really good and we learned a lot. Leo even visited Calypso and we learned what that line in the prophecy about a promise was really Leo promising Calypso to free her from her prison so that one day they could open up a car repair garage/food place.
A lot of the characters developed in this book. Leo’s ADHD hasn’t been too bad, Piper can charmspeak things to being actual living things while also learning how to fight, and being in Tartarus both changed Percy and Annabeth while growing them more together. Rick Riordan did just a good job on this book that I can’t believe that we will only have one last book of Percy Jackson/the Heroes of Olympus books left. It is just so sad in my opinion as I love both book series and I just don’t want it to end at all.
If you like this review please the writes blog to read some other reviews. see link below:
5.0 out of 5 stars The House of Hades pdf Book — a tale of anguish and unlikely hope
Reviewed in the United States on November 12, 2014
The House of Hades follows up on the awful cliffhanger from The Mark of Athena. Everyone is on survival mode — Percy and Annabeth must survive Tartarus and reach the Doors of Death, as the rest of the team — Jason, Piper, Frank, Hazel, Leo, Nico, and Coach Hedge — travels on the Argo II to reach the House of Hades. Their trials and tribulations only grow worse with each turn of the page. Frank, despite his unassuming nature, must step up to take a leading role, while Jason continues to practice relying on others so that the weight on the quest is not entirely on his shoulders. Piper must learn to be more than just a persuasive voice. Hazel must learn to control The Mist and build up her confidence, as so much of this quest depends on her knowledge of the Underworld. Nico… well, he’s just a very complex individual. Meanwhile, Coach Hedge tries to conceal certain personal information, and Leo deals with the constant upkeep of their trireme, which is under unrelenting attacks and round-the-clock repairs.
The changing points of view allows the reader to keep up with the simultaneous events — sometimes jumping from one place to another at the most inopportune times, other times giving us just enough breathing room to relax for a millisecond. We follow Percy and Annabeth’s impossible and grueling journey through the most horrible of settings — in a surprising turn of events, there is more than just a horde of evil enemies down there… (a silver light as the end of this dark, dark tunnel?) As the larger group makes its way to Greece, they inevitably must separate — whether by choice or to divide and conquer their smaller errands along the way. Jason is able to get some insight into Nico’s antisocial behavior and inner turmoil. Piper and Hazel are able to bond as the only girls on the Argo II. Leo… experiences a change. As does Frank, who is becoming tougher and more commanding for the sake of his friends — he is such a caring and cuddly guy… until you mess with his crew.
I think Percy’s thoughts really sum it up quite well: “When he started looking back on the war with Kronos as the good old days — that was sad. […] Their lives just got more and more dangerous, as if the Three Fates were up there spinning their futures with barbed wire instead of thread just to see how much two demigods could tolerate.”
5.0 out of 5 stars Read it in 1 day
As we all know Riordan is an INCREDIBLE author. I read the olympians series as a beginning 5th grader and now I’m going in to 6th grade and I’m still reading it! My dad would get mad at me for not doing my homework first and just read read read. I would sleep at 11 instead of 9 and set an alarm to 6 just so I could read. This book I would give 999999 stars but I can only give 5. Bob was one of the best characters I feel like and I wish the series could go on forever! I recommend this for ages 10 and up unless ur a gifted reader like me, them read it in 4th grade. I never realized how good Riordan was until I had no books to read and finally decided to pick up the lightning thief. I was blown away and would not put the book down. I would definitely recommend this book as a read!
Written by Sam, 6th grade?(I dunno if this counts, I’m in the summer between 5th and 6th) [im writing this on my dads account so I’m not Yi Sun]
Download The House of Hades pdf book by Rick Riordan
Use the button below to download The House of Hades pdf