Book by Jesmyn Ward
Men We Reaped Pdf Summary
In five years, Jesmyn Ward lost five men in her life, to drugs, accidents, suicide, and the bad luck that can follow people who live in poverty, particularly black men. Dealing with these losses, one after another, made Jesmyn ask the question: why? And as she began to write about the experience of living through all the dying, she realized the truth–and it took her breath away. Her brother and her friends all died because of who they were and where they were from, because they lived with a history of racism and economic struggle that fostered drug addiction and the dissolution of family and relationships. Jesmyn says the answer was so obvious she felt stupid for not seeing it. But it nagged at her until she knew she had to write about her community, to write their stories and her own.
Jesmyn grew up in poverty in rural Mississippi. She writes powerfully about the pressures this brings, on the men who can do no right and the women who stand in for family in a society where the men are often absent. She bravely tells her story, revisiting the agonizing losses of her only brother and her friends. As the sole member of her family to leave home and pursue high education, she writes about this parallel American universe with the objectivity distance provides and the intimacy of utter familiarity.
- The Blade Itself pdf, (The First Law Trilogy, 1) Summary, Joe Abercrombie
- Dragonflight pdf, Book, Summary, by Anne McCaffrey
- The Lies of Locke Lamora pdf, Book, Summary by Scott Lynch
- The Color of Magic pdf, Book, Summary by Terry Pratchett
Men We Reaped Review
Watch Men We Reaped pdf book review
About Jesmyn Ward Author Of Men We Reaped pdf Book
Jesmyn Ward is the author of Where the Line Bleeds, Salvage the Bones, and Men We Reaped pdf. She is a former Stegner Fellow (Stanford University) and Grisham Writer in Residence at the University of Mississippi. She is an associate professor of Creative Writing at Tulane University.
Men We Reaped pdf, Paperback, Hardcover Book Information
- Publisher : Bloomsbury USA; 1st edition (September 17, 2013)
- Language : English
- Hardcover : 272 pages
- ISBN-10 : 160819521X
- ISBN-13 : 978-1608195213
- Lexile measure : 1020L
- Item Weight : 14.2 ounces
- Dimensions : 5.76 x 1.11 x 8.62 inches
- Best Sellers Rank: #744,799 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #2,450 in Black & African American Biographies
- #3,570 in Author Biographies
- #25,568 in Memoirs (Books)
- Customer Reviews: 4.6 out of 5 stars 1,402 ratings
Get A Copy Of Men We Reaped pdf Or Paperback By Jesmyn Ward
You Can get A Copy Of Men We Reaped pdf Or Paperback By Jesmyn Ward from these online stores below.